OUR sketching kits!!!

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

Andre Jute
one of the regulars
Re: OUR sketching kits!!!

Post by Andre Jute » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:28 am

Happy New Year to you too, Marialena, and to all sketchers everywhere.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 am

Irrelevant. ( time for a little bit of new years day moaning- I'm telling it to you Andre because you read it and you commented on the related thread).
What is going wrong with some people? Countless have visited my website to read about my chalk resist experiment and they have discussed about this on wetcanvas and elsewhere, because as it is obvious many artists are disgusted with the stinky, quickly drying in the bottle masking fluids that need replacement every few weeks.
Some of them have come back in the same discussion to tell me that they tried to make the chalk resist with whatever unrelated with the recipe I posted materials and that it didn't work. Most of them tried to make it with calcium carbonate food supplements ( go figure now!! )
Of course it doesn't work if they don't make it the way I told them.. with school chalk and vodka. What did they expected to happen by the time that they didn't follow the recipe. :roll:

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 am

Sorry, but I burst out laughing. Color me cynical, which is just another word for experienced and disillusioned, but I'm not surprised at all that a shower of amateurs cannot follow a simple chalk and vodka recipe, and that they blame you for their failure.

The net is full of people who travel in a strange country without a map, and then blame everyone else when they are lost. I'll give you an example: One of my books, Writing a Thriller, has from the beginning been a key work for professional writers, called "a private godsend" in a Times op-ed by a leading writer, in print for umpteen editions over a whole generation, anthologized in writers' yearbooks and manuals around the world, translated into all the important languages, highly praised by writers who say they sold nothing until they read my book, then they found a publisher, and is generally credited with changing the direction of an entire genre from plot-centric to character-driven. These are professionals falling ravenously on a book that tells them what to do to become a professional, how a professional behaves (do as I tell you, not as I do! -- heh-heh!), etc. On the other hand, we have huge number of would-be writers* who feel that they are entitled to be published, and earlier in this century Amazon enabled them to publish their own books costlessly; they're called indies, and a huge pile of what they publish is a compost heap in which nothing will ever grow: no talent, no originally, zero command of the tools of the trade, wrong attitudes. In 2010/11 for an experiment I joined one of the largest conferences of indies. First I was abused as an undeserving beneficiary of the traditional publishing system. Apparently the fact that my books sold while they couldn't give theirs away free made no difference, it just made my "crime" bigger; oh dear. So now we have, for several years, on this conference these wannabes and several noted professionals besides me who're also taking a look at Amazon's indie mechanism (at the time it was possible to earn more from Amazon per unit sale than from traditional publishers); the professionals took advantage of this tenuous connection with me privately to ask me questions arising from my book, all aimed at improving their books, and publicly to thank me for the service to the profession of writing it. From the indies I received not a single question about how to improve their work; what they wanted was "tips and tricks" to make publishers pay attention to them. There's nothing you can do for such people; you're there, you're known to have a map (professional application and behavior), you're known to be amenable to sharing it, they don't have a map, but they don't ask if they can share yours, instead they abuse you for being in a "position of unearned privilege", which is pointless and unproductive, and just leads to me putting them down, which ruins their confidence, if they have any, for good (already a sign that they aren't suitable for a life as artists, because an artist must survive many rejections). It's like someone tells you she feels she's a watercolorist when you can see she doesn't know how to use the paint, but she doesn't ask about proportion of pigment to water, or how to glaze colors, she wants instead to know how to frame this nothing that is all she's producing so she can sell it for a Picasso price.

*Not all of them even want to write: many of them merely want to "live the author lifestyle" (those are the actual words one used to me); they apparently believe I go to conferences and sleep with strange women in such time as I have left over from lunching with my publishers and dining with the intellectual and pop elite; when I say I work 14 hours a day and otherwise live a dull bourgeois life -- and am happy to do so -- they don't believe me.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks Andre.. that was a by far better moaning than mine! :lol: But yes you are right. :D
Well... I have never met personally someone claiming to be a writer and behaving the way you described. But I don't have any dealings with the local writers either way.

The only writer that I have met in person and had some interaction with and he was indeed a writer, was Carlos Fuentes, back in 2000-01- but I wouldn't say that I liked his attitude and I'm not sure if this was indeed a writer's attitude or the "I_like_the_chick" attitude. So I behaved to him with this distancing politeness that was in my opinion appropriate for the occasion and the intentions of this gentleman... :wink:

Sean Kupisz
one of the regulars

Post by Sean Kupisz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Hello All! I am new to this forum, and exited to be here. Here's my usual go to sketch kit:
sketchstut.JPG
sketchstut.JPG (106.61KiB)Viewed 3911 times
Here is the interior:
kitintblg.JPG
kitintblg.JPG (82.9KiB)Viewed 3911 times
Than you so much!
Sean

avajarvis
one of the regulars

Post by avajarvis » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:30 pm

[Ye gods I wrote a long article with headers in a forum post and did not intend to do that. Am going to cleanse my soul by posting pictures. Maybe.]

I don't go out to sketch very much. I am in reality housebound due to illness. But I actually pay attention to urban sketching among other art topics because as it turns out, when you can only create art in bed, portable art kits are incredibly useful.
IMG_20180905_114911.jpg
Any Jiji fans out there? This pencil case was on clearance for $3, and possibly it was because of Fake Jiji.
IMG_20180905_114911.jpg (21.08KiB)Viewed 3605 times
This kit has gone through several iterations, but the most recent one has nothing but ink and dry media in it; no watercolors, no paints.
IMG_20180905_114942.jpg
Photo blue sketching pencil, rarely used. Ruler, still don't know what to use it for, as I don't use straight edges. White gel pen, Pitt Pen (XS). Five Akashiya-sai Thinliners, which have bristle brush tips and a number of subdued, desaturated tones. Wad of paper towel. And a Pointy Stick (bamboo reed pen).
IMG_20180905_114942.jpg (69.61KiB)Viewed 3605 times

IMG_20180905_115035.jpg
Stillman & Birn Epsilon pocket sketchbook (unseen: a very small saddle-stitch sketchbook without a cover, made of Strathmore 500 series mixed media paper). Yatate. Pencil sharpener (small hole is for most things, big hole is weirdly for my oil pencils and leads).
IMG_20180905_115035.jpg (31.09KiB)Viewed 3605 times
IMG_20180905_115108.jpg
The only colored pencils in this kit, which I use to blend out many other colors. I only really splurge on two things: paper, and pigment. Caran d'Ache Pablo pencils. Plus a 5.6mm lead holder, a small mint tin with putty erasers in it, and two little silica cylinder things to keep stuff dry.
IMG_20180905_115108.jpg (37.36KiB)Viewed 3605 times
IMG_20180905_115146.jpg
I can't use graphite pencils or dry pastels due to the dust. Colored pencils and oil-impregnated pencils don't dust nearly as much (or at all). The pencils are nice, but I still prefer the chunky 5.6mm leads.
IMG_20180905_115146.jpg (32.71KiB)Viewed 3605 times
I really do mix all my colors from that few colored pencils.
IMG_20180905_132539.jpg
Back of the sketchbook test of all the kit.
IMG_20180905_132539.jpg (60.48KiB)Viewed 3605 times

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 pm

For carrying panels or boards to do larger than book-scale oil painting or watercolours en plein air:Image
It holds two boards apart, face to face, for carrying to and from the field or the classroom. Built-in carry-handle. The nipples for pressure makes small indentations in panels, boards and canvases.

I use one at the top of the boards and one at the bottom. They're available from Cornelissen in London for STG11.70 each but you'll probably be able to find them elsewhere.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Turn your gouache or watercolour box into an egg tempera kit by the addition of a single tube of medium

I describe here ADVENTURES IN EGG TEMPERA how you can turn your gouache or watercolour box into an egg tempera kit by the addition of a single tube of medium.

Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:01 pm

I describe at Making a G-Nib Custom Fountain Pen for Ruinous Inks — Relatively Cheaply how to make a fountain pen with a huge line width variation for well under a tenner. As a bonus it also handles pigmented and shellacked paint. It is a one piece sketching kit for pen people, or a dream tool for pen and wash artists.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher