This was on the back of my ticket:
no_sketching.png
no_sketching.png (735.48KiB)Viewed 5849 times
Is this an isolated case or a trend?

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: No sketching allowed?

Post by mdmattin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:48 am

Interesting that they permit note taking but not sketching.
In the US sketching is usually allowed in museums, although they may stipulate pencil only.
Matthew

swayne
one of the regulars

Post by swayne » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Sketchers tend to stand still for quite a while, perhaps it was to prevent congestion.

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 pm

It seems to me that you have some very strange museums there in Japan.
How can you prohibit to someone who travelled all the way to Japan in order to visit - what else?- the museums and the tourist destinations not to take photos or not to sketch and generally record its visit?

The local museums not only allow photos and sketching but they also provide seats to the visitors who want to sketch in order not to sit down on the floors.
It is not allowed though in certain halls of the museums - depending the items that are exhibited- to use your camera in a flash mode, because the flash light can destroy the colours of the exhibited artefacts.

Is not allowed to eat but it is allowed to drink water if you want. You have to pass from full security control X rays and these security gates at the entrance of the museum.

Backpacks, suitcases, huge bags etc stay outside of course in a secured place and that because many tourists make a stop in Athens to visit the museums and then leave the same day for the islands. So is not unusual to see them loaded with everything you can imagine. So these storage rooms are huge - depending the museum- at the National Archaeological Museum is like a warehouse.

But other than the above there are not that many other prohibitions. The vast majority after all of the artefacts are not exhibited due to space limitations, there are way more artefacts than the space capacity of the museums and so the collections come and go.

Russ
one of the regulars

Post by Russ » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 pm

This was the first time I saw a "no sketching" notice. Big shock. I have seen the "pencil only" notice at another museum here in the past.

brianvds
one of the regulars

Post by brianvds » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:31 am

Russ wrote:This was the first time I saw a "no sketching" notice. Big shock. I have seen the "pencil only" notice at another museum here in the past.
I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. Perhaps they worry the ink might harm the exhibits, Mr. bean-style?

Considering the congestion I saw in the Van Gogh museum, I can imagine that the rule against sketching might simply be to prevent people from "hogging" a painting. Who knows. I must confess, as ever better quality reproductions become available, I am less and less interested interested in visiting art museums, precisely because of the "no breathing allowed beyond this point" kind of rules...

mjs
one of the regulars

Post by mjs » Fri May 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Technically, isn't making a sketch the visual form of note-taking?

Yes, I know, I'm in trouble again. I'll just sit quietly over here, with my pencil and my... note book.

:)

Mike

avajarvis
one of the regulars

Post by avajarvis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 am

There are a number of reasons the various notices exist, and not necessarily for silly ones. I asked an artist friend of mine about this a while back, and here are the concerns that museums (and similar places) sometimes have. Restrictions usually exist because of very disappointing stories.

1. "No wet media" means that in the past, someone tried to deface a work of art. This might have happened a lot or only once, but it only takes one time of having to do an expensive restoration of a period piece after someone decided to sharpie over it for a museum to put up a sign. It's much harder to do permanent damage with a pencil, unless you try to poke holes with the point, I guess.

2. "No photographs" can mean one of two things.

(1) The pieces involved are very old and use fugitive (non-lightfast) pigments. Camera flashes, especially for very popular pieces, can actually fade the colors. You can try to tell people to take photos but please don't use the flash, but some people will not bother to turn off the flash.

(2) For more recent pieces where copyright is in effect, there are some people who will take photographs and then sell them online, especially to royalty stock photo sites. Some museums are not thrilled with this.

3. "No sketching" means that someone copied a piece and tried to claim it or sell it as original work. With or without a nasty lawsuit involved, the museum (and artist, or artist estate) is usually not very thrilled.

Basically, someone (or multiple someones) ruined the experience for everybody else and probably cost the museum money, especially if extensive restoration for a piece is involved.

And that is why we can't have nice things (TM).

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Post by Rebecca » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:13 am

Here is a real whopper of no sketching allowed!
http://www.urbansketchers.org/2019/02/i ... rk-fl.html
Rebecca

gunterkoenigsmann
familiar face

Post by gunterkoenigsmann » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:00 am

The sigmund Freud Museum in London seems to be afraid that people if they can see the insides of the museum in the internet will stop coming there. But the owners are very nice and encouraged me to ignore the rules.

I also know of other museums that absolutely want people to view the original, not to scratch only the surface by viewing a low-res version on the screen. Which is fine if you live next to the museum or if you are seriously rich and have time for traveling. ...and I know a scientific library that doesn't allow even for note-taking as it wants to stay the only go-to point for its theme.

None of these points I judge as valid, though.
Do it. Now.

Russ
one of the regulars

Post by Russ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:34 am

avajarvis wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 am
Restrictions usually exist because of very disappointing stories.

How true! I really want to know the story behind this one...

not_an_exit_440.jpg
not_an_exit_440.jpg (58.32KiB)Viewed 2581 times

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Post by Alitogata » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:42 am

Ha ha ha...Perhaps someone was high enough to confuse this with an exit!!

Anyway...

Here is an update. I got in the National Museum with my full painting set up , I mean with all my sketching kit including my watercolour box that is not supposed to be allowed there. You see women are no obliged to leave at the reception of the museum their handbags if these are small enough and so I managed this way to pass my tiny sketching setup from the security control. Then I chose a corner to sit down, I cοughed also a litttle bit in order to make the other visitors to get in panick out of my way, (that is the new covid trick- are they standing in front of you or very close to you? Cοugh and they will disappear! ) and Ι sketched my way through the museum as any decent "ninja" would do - black sun glasses black face mask! :lol: :lol:

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:49 am

I won't be surprised to discover that "no exit" door is part of a bureaucracy-mandated fire-regulation signage scheme. Utterly useless, nuts besides, and counterproductive, in that it will stop workers escaping from flames while they work out why the devil such a negative piece of information is there. Some noise is just noise, not information.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher