Fudepen tip lifetime

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

gunterkoenigsmann
familiar face
Fudepen tip lifetime

Post by gunterkoenigsmann » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 am

Dear all,

I don't like plastic tips for fudepens too much. They don't feel "alive" and are more coarse a tool than I want them to be. But if I use a natural tip after 1-2 months it is round instead of sharp. Will upload a picture of the tip of my costly (and hard to get) Platinum cf-2000 tip after 6 weeks of using it.

I've already tried to invest into smoother (but more expensive) paper in order to save money on the tips. But that doesn't seem to help much.

Is there anything important I need to know of?
Attachments
IMG_20190302_085246377.jpg
My Platinum CF-2000 after 6 weeks of sketching.
IMG_20190302_085246377.jpg (257.62KiB)Viewed 2681 times
Do it. Now.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: Fudepen tip lifetime

Post by Andre Jute » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 pm

gunterkoenigsmann wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 am
Is there anything important I need to know of?
The Kuretake No. 13 is an elegant equivalent to your Platinum which lasts well, though I don't use it every day or even every week, and I have several, which tends to spread the use. But it isn't much cheaper than the Platinum, so isn't a solution for you. The No. 15, which has the same tip, is a bit pricier still.

What would be a solution for you is the Kuretake No. 8, which has the same tip as the Nos. 13 and 15 but isn't elegant. Instead it is a bit longer in the body, like a desk pen, and has a hexagonal plastic cap so it doesn't roll on your desk. It's around half the price of the No.13 but has the same synthetic hair tip, though the sections holding the tip are not interchangeable because they have different nubs for the different caps. A further difference is that you can buy replacement sections (the bit with the tip) for the Nos. 13, 15, 40 & 50, whereas the No. 8 is so cheap (around 7-8 Euro) that I haven't found any replacement tips.

In fact, I use the Kuretake No.13 (synthetic tip) and Nos. 40 & 50 (sable hair) on my desk, and carry the No. 8 in plein air kits so as to lessen the shock to the system if I should lose it.

The truth is that, while the expensive sable hair model Kuretake fountain pen brush is nice, I like the synthetic one very much for an everyday brush. For someone who uses the fude brush as his main tool, the synthetic has another advantage: you can use the synthetic tip with nano-particle carbon inks, like Platinum Carbon Ink, available in cartridges or in a bottle for use with the Platinum Converter in a Kuretaki fude pen, whereas with the sable tip (40 & 50) carbon ink is an expensive risk of getting an unsalvageable clogged pen.

Andre Jute: Waitress Race, A5 on cotton watercolour paper. Kuretake No 13 fountain pen brush for the outline, the large Manga Kuretake No 22 for the big blocks of black, and a Jinhao X450 pen for the grey lines and shading.

The short, smart black pen is a Kuretake No.13.
You asked for a direct replacement for the Platinum, so that's what I told you. We haven't seen your work, so this may be off beam, but it seems to me at least possible that there is a superior solution for you if indeed the fude brush is your main tool:

In the photo above the black industrial looking pen is the Kuretake No. 22, a common professional graphic design and Manga tool, long-lasting, seen in every commercial studio in the world. It has a superb nylon-hair brush and the entire rear end is the cartridge, filled with superior ink. There are three sizes, 22, 26, 24 -- not numbered in size order, so make sure you know which number refers to which size before you buy; the sizes are colour coded by the band around the front section. A common graphic design tool, pen and substantial refills are available at almost every art store, and even cheaper than the No. 8. I have all the sizes and the ink doesn't dry out in years and years if firmly capped; you need only one size to start with as these are very flexible brushes in the sense of any of them being able to achieve whatever line width you want. If you buy only one, make it the No. 22, because that is the one most artists I know choose. In theory you can also get coloured ink refill cartridges, but I don't know if they are of the same quality as the black; however, if you want to experiment, you can refill an empty cartridge with whatever ink you want. A highly recommended fude pen.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

gunterkoenigsmann
familiar face

Post by gunterkoenigsmann » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks a lot for this long answer.

I like the Platinum because I can fill it with platinum ink from a bottle. But in Germany replacement tips tend to be 30%...1000% more costly than the pen. No idea why.

Will try to attach my sketches from yesterday and today
Do it. Now.

gunterkoenigsmann
familiar face

Post by gunterkoenigsmann » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Seems like I cannot upload photos using my mobile phone...
Attachments
IMG_20190303_154741855_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190303_154741855_BURST000_COVER.jpg (542.73KiB)Viewed 2671 times
IMG_20190303_154727888_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190303_154727888_HDR.jpg (713.86KiB)Viewed 2671 times
IMG_20190303_154714713_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190303_154714713_HDR.jpg (1.3MiB)Viewed 2671 times
Do it. Now.

gunterkoenigsmann
familiar face

Post by gunterkoenigsmann » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am

Bought a Kaimei Weasel Hair Pen. Let's see if it lasts longer than the platinum one. Currently it looks and works great - and is surprisingly short (but you can use the cap in order to prolong it). If the tip gets too round for serious work I'll test if it can be used with waterproof Platinum ink.
Do it. Now.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:05 am

Let us know your conclusions when you have more experience with the Kamei, I'm keen to know if it is more durable than the Platinum. The Kamei is not intended to be used uncapped.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher