Early Snow in Academic Artists Assoc. show

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

mdmattin
one of the regulars
Early Snow in Academic Artists Assoc. show

Post by mdmattin » Wed May 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Early Snow was accepted for the Academic Artists Association 69th Annual National Exhibition of Traditional Realism:
academicartistsassociation.org.

Early_Snow sm.jpg
Early_Snow sm.jpg (185.79KiB)Viewed 2133 times

I got it a nice new frame in honor of the occasion.

early snow framed sm.jpg
early snow framed sm.jpg (116.76KiB)Viewed 2133 times
Matthew

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: Early Snow in Academic Artists Assoc. show

Post by Andre Jute » Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 am

Congratulations, Matthew. The frame and the border are just right, judicious, sober, apt. Good luck.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Post by Rebecca » Thu May 02, 2019 5:02 pm

It's a very thoughtful painting. Carefully designed and painted. This should earn their respect, and a prize!
Rebecca

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Post by mdmattin » Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you, Andre and Rebecca!

I reframed it after being gently admonished by a juror at the Awagam show, where it won first prize for Oils but raised eyebrows with its homemade wooden frame job, so I had it done professionally. Although not from a high-end shop, it was still pricey enough to be daunting if multiplied by 20 or more works in a solo show. I think I will have to continue to do my own framing, just get better at it. I actually worked as a picture framer for a few years and acquired some skills, but never reached the point where they let me cut the moldings. Getting four mitre joints to jibe with no gaps can be a exercise in frustration without the right tools and knowhow.

It's already a prize to be accepted into this show. I looked up the other artists on the list of accepted entries, and many of them are seriously good! It's an honor to be in such exalted company, but I feel like a rookie compared to them.
I drove down to deliver the piece yesterday and had some nice conversations there. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it they were very friendly and interesting people.

Matthew

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Post by Rebecca » Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm

mdmattin wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm
...I reframed it after being gently admonished by a juror at the Awagam show, where it won first prize for Oils but raised eyebrows with its homemade wooden frame job, so I had it done professionally...
Wait, you just changed the frame after winning 1st place in another show? This would have to be recent. Can you straighten me out?
edit... Oh, with a search I found an image of the old frame, and I see you are not redoing THIS frame, but the last one. Sorry.
Rebecca