Name of the Artist

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

Harry
one of the regulars
Name of the Artist

Post by Harry » Sat May 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Years ago there was a series of Bible stories on TV and they were illustrated in a unique pen and ink style. If I remember correctly they were fairly minimalist. The artist became quite famous for a while.
Many modern Bibles are still illustrated in this particular style. It became for a while the 'Bible' style of illustration.

The simple 'fish' design of 2 curved lines which we associate with Christianity was an image of this artist I believe.

Does anyone know the name of the artist responsible? I would like to investigate him or her further.
Thank you

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: Name of the Artist

Post by Andre Jute » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 am

Harry wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:37 pm

The simple 'fish' design of 2 curved lines which we associate with Christianity was an image of this artist I believe.
He may have turned the design into a modern illumination theme, or simplified it somehow, but the design wasn't original with him. It came down to us from the Roman catacombs two millennia ago, when it was chalked on walls as a recognition symbol for Christians, and to indicate a safe house. It was pretty simple already then, a dash-dash motion of the chalk to put up two curving lines meeting at one end and crossing at the other as surreptitiously and speedily as possible, so a modern designer cannot bring much to the symbol, which is why I say "simplified it somehow" -- I can't imagine what the "somehow" would be.

Sorry I can't help you with the artist's name.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Harry
one of the regulars

Post by Harry » Sun May 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks. Andre. I probably should have written 'associated with the artist's style' rather than presuming it was a product of the artist. I fooled myself because so much of this artist's work was so similar to the fish that it is almost difficult to believe she (I think the artist was a woman) didn't conceive it. Imagine an image of Jesus drawn with two lines; a curved, flowing line at the back to suggest the fall of His robe and another at the front. The masses of His audiences were drawn with a series of graceful arc and turns.
I like to think that the artist was so inspired by the twin lines of the fish that they fashioned a style after it.
Cheers

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 pm

That sounds interesting, Harry. When you find her work, if it's copyright-free, post something here, otherwise a link so we can share your amazement.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Harry
one of the regulars

Post by Harry » Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 am

Found her! The artist's name is Anne Vallotton. I wasn't sure about copyrights so I am posting a link where you can see a fair bit of her work. They say she is the most published artist in the world.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/jlwmccallu ... strations/

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 am

Harry wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:44 am
Found her! The artist's name is Anne Vallotton. I wasn't sure about copyrights so I am posting a link where you can see a fair bit of her work. They say she is the most published artist in the world.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/jlwmccallu ... strations/
Thanks, Harry.

Vallotton has amazing consistency, a style she has made her own. That's what I and others here mean when we talk about developing a style by simply drawing long enough and often enough*. Considering her subject and her simplified universal style, I'm not surprised that she's the most published artist in the world.

* Again considering her subject, and her concentration on it, Vallotton may prefer to say her style arrived to her by transcendence from a higher power, with or without capitals...
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher