Framing black vs white

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

snippety
one of the regulars
Framing black vs white

Post by snippety » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:06 am

hi sketchers - sorry if you have covered this topic...i looked and couldnt find.

Ive been thrown into the deep end for an exhibition in our local gallery. Luckily there are 6 of us - to spread the anxiety!!. The challenge has been a super jump start to get doing what ive 'been meaning to' for ages - and that is draw busily every day.
Now the time has arrived - black vs white frame? ( i would have liked a simple thin wood but the framer says the price is almost double)
my work is mostly sketches on water colour paper - with a very small amount of colour in one or 2 places...yes ill find something to attach
Attachments
20190629_222031.jpg
in progress
20190629_222031.jpg (285.42KiB)Viewed 1692 times
20190630_115320.jpg
work in progress
20190630_115320.jpg (226.2KiB)Viewed 1692 times

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Re: Framing black vs white

Post by Rebecca » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi snippety,
This probably goes beyond what you are asking..

Are you talking about the frame, itself, or a matte surrounding the art inside the frame? Traditionally, art on paper gets matted, then the matted art gets framed. If you are not going to matte, I think a black frame would be better than white. It would clarify the border between the art and the wall it will hang on. Black mattes are less commonly used for art, but you never know -- each situation is different. I see black mattes more with photography.

Depending on how large the matte surrounding the art is, and its color, black or white frames could work. When I frame, I find something in the art to choose matte and frame color. The dark lines in your sketches suggest a black frame might be the better choice. The paper is a large part of your art, so a light matte might add a good buffer between the the art and the frame.

If your art paper colors are different from each other, white frames might look better with some sketches, and not with others, but black has no clashing potential against different art papers. For mattes, the color cast of some off-white mattes clash with some off-white art papers. They have to sit side by side to make the best choice.

Since this will hang as a unit in a show, you might want to use the same matte and/or frame color that harmonizes with the group, rather than get something perfect for each different piece. That connects them all to you, the artist who sketched them. It also gives incentive to buyers who want to decorate one wall. They might want a coordinated set of framed pieces. More sales to you.
Rebecca

snippety
one of the regulars

Post by snippety » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 am

Thank you Rebecca i appreciate and value your advice- im usually in such a rush that i should have added more info.

I meant the frame - definitely sticking with a matt and white one and they will all be the same. and good point about the other artists work - thanks for the reminder.

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Post by Rebecca » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:48 pm

snippety wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 am
Thank you...and good point about the other artists work - thanks for the reminder.
Sure. And um, I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying about other artists' work... I was referring to making only your own pieces unified with the same mattes and frames. Trying to get all the artists do the same thing would be like trying to herd cats.
Rebecca