Inspiring, detailed talk on Mezzotint from a sketch

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

Andre Jute
one of the regulars
Inspiring, detailed talk on Mezzotint from a sketch

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:18 pm

The late Dr David Crown was an artist with wide curiosity and an open mind about various forms of art. Here he gives, in a talk only 38m long, a full description of the technique of mezzotint, and a demonstration detailed enough to be useful of how one progresses from the sketch to the print, even to multicolour prints. It's absolutely fascinating, and inspiring. Even if you don't watch the whole thing, go to 14m in and run it for only a couple of minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whYoJ4_CtE

I'm currently doing quite a bit of cutting for relief printing, and by extension looking into mezzotinto (via engraving for which I decided my eyes aren't good enough any more and anyway my hands are too soft to brush away the sharp strips of copper gravers cut out), and that video made up my mind: I'll buy some gear -- I need only a rocker* as I already have an extensive drypoint kit with burnishers and scrapers and roulettes and moulettes) and try it in the winter. I'm not actually planning 3- or 4-colour prints, even if the good doctor makes them look easy, but I like the sound of another mezzotint extension he mentions, which a reversion to a C18 practice of watercolouring mezzotints. (I had enough of CMYK plates and their registration problems when I was in advertising!)

*If you're enthused by Dr Crown, don't rush out and buy the first mezzotint rocker you see, which is likely to be a pricey item from E C Lyons. There are others at a fraction of the price that will do you well; I especially like the ones from Artools (I have quite a bit of Artools gear and it is superb) and Reig, both Spanish firms. The Artools rockers are available from Totenart and the Reig rockers (which are the one I'm thinking of buying) from Artemiranda, both in Spain; Artemiranda has more attractive prices and shipping policies. Note that you don't actually need a rocker to prepare the plate for mezzotint: you can also use a bit more patience and a large roulette, like this one made by Artools I bought from Cornelissen in London: https://www.cornelissen.com/printmaking ... e-no6.html
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Inspiring, detailed talk on Mezzotint from a sketch

Post by mdmattin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for the link, Andre. I especially like the reference to nose grease as a burnishing lubricant. I did some printmaking back in school when the facilities were easily available, but haven't returned to it since. How do you do your printing - do you own a press, or timeshare at a studio?
Matthew

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: Inspiring, detailed talk on Mezzotint from a sketch

Post by Andre Jute » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:00 am

Matthew, I wrote a detailed reply which appears to have gone missing. So I'll just give you a link to the exact small, folding, portable printer I own, and answer any questions that arise.

Store with stock, including highly desirable extended bed and felt blanket:
https://handprinted.co.uk/collections/p ... nd-blanket

Folded, portable, easily storable:

Open, extended bed for longer than approx 12in prints fitted:

In use:

If anyone here decides to buy one, talk to me about what else you need.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher