Fall and Winter Excursions

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

mdmattin
one of the regulars
Fall and Winter Excursions

Post by mdmattin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:07 pm

I've gotten in some outdoor adventures this fall and winter.
I took Sketch Pad*L out a couple times, once on the Connecticut River and once on Lake Warner.
Sketch Pad-L.jpg
Sketch Pad-L.jpg (166.75KiB)Viewed 2291 times
From the river, I did a small oil sketch of Mt Sugarloaf with nice fall foliage. This is currently hanging in the Hope and Feather Small Works show.
mt sugarloaf sketch pad-l.jpg
mt sugarloaf sketch pad-l.jpg (127.99KiB)Viewed 2291 times
mt sugarloaf from sunderland islands.jpg
mt sugarloaf from sunderland islands.jpg (131.02KiB)Viewed 2291 times
Lake Warner snakes along behind a small town, making it nice vantage point to sketch the buildings that back up to the lake.
Lake Warner Sketch Pad-L.jpg
Lake Warner Sketch Pad-L.jpg (160.46KiB)Viewed 2291 times

I wanted to try a larger format in the snow, so the first decent storm we had, I rigged up a protective shelter (Artistic-in-tent V2.0) for my large Gloucester easel...
Image_8 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg
Image_8 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg (156.49KiB)Viewed 2291 times
Image_9 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg
Image_9 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg (163.75KiB)Viewed 2291 times

and headed for the back yard and my motif no.1, the climbing structure. It's a challenging subject, because it's gotten pretty warped and askew over the years. You have to make it clear that the wonkiness is a property of the subject matter, not of your drawing.
Image_10 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg
Image_10 2019-12-02_19-42-07.jpg (154.22KiB)Viewed 2291 times
This is a work in progress; I'm hoping to bring up more snow detail but keep a fairly loose feel.
climbing structure sm.jpg
climbing structure sm.jpg (158.04KiB)Viewed 2291 times

Matthew

Rebecca
one of the regulars

Re: Fall and Winter Excursions

Post by Rebecca » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:20 pm

The climbing structure painting looks like a gleeful head on eager legs, popping around like a happy goat.
Rebecca

snippety
one of the regulars

Post by snippety » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:15 am

That is so great - i dont know why i havent done it - kayak n paints. Ive taken my camera, and a friend went a bit over board - so to speak- with a whole fishing kit it nearly required another vessel!! I will give it a try.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:22 am

snippety wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:15 am
That is so great - i dont know why i havent done it - kayak n paints. Ive taken my camera, and a friend went a bit over board - so to speak- with a whole fishing kit it nearly required another vessel!! I will give it a try.
Don't do anything that silly, Snippety. You'll fall overboard and lose your gear and the fish will be poisoned by the pigments and we'll read about your national scandal in The Australian and dany we knew you.

Seriously, though, Mathew is well accustomed to making tools and fittings to aid his painting. If you study the photographs of his canoe closely, you'll discover there are ridges and brackets and whatnot -- what on a bicycle you'd call sockets -- to take care of his gear and of him. That's not just a rented canoe, it's a canoe built for painting on water.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am

Maybe it's just my inclination for impressions which call up closures in the viewer's mind, Matthew, but I would say that painting, from my outlook, appears nearly finished, needing only a bit of definition in the greyish stand of bare trees top left. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thanks for showing us the gear as well as the paintings in progress and finished. I like the paintings from the water too. But the climbing frame is special: it's been fascinating to see over the how your style developed.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Post by mdmattin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Here's a work in progress:

climbing structure sm.jpg
climbing structure sm.jpg (160.69KiB)Viewed 2219 times
My aim is to achieve more solidity and accuracy, especially in the climbing structure itself, while maintaining an overall sense of life and spontaneity. I greatly admire the way Van Gogh depicts constructed objects like weaver's looms, boats, drawbridges, etc, as full of expression and personality, but in such accurate detail that someone with the requisite woodworking skills could reconstruct a working version.
I worked on this on site on one day when it was snowing quite hard and the next when it was clear, and I haven't decided which to go with, or to split the difference. On the first day, the trees on the left were barely visible and the distant mountains completely whited out. I've also exaggerated the play of light on the structure and the foreground snow, just to make it easier to render the forms. On the snowy day, the light was very diffused and gray, and even on the clear day, the light and dark areas were not so distinct.

Maybe I should do two versions, like Goya's clothed and nude Majas?

Matthew

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:51 pm

Rafael mad nude studies even of groups of people for his paintings in the Vatican, and repeated studies of draperies; by som miracles those drawings were also preserved. It's relative common practice among painters to this day. So why not naked and clothed landscapes?

I do think the climbing frame is pretty solid, so maybe the next time you decide to paint it, the background can be naked in one version and clothed by mist and snow in the other.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher