Gallery timing

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

snippety
one of the regulars
Gallery timing

Post by snippety » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:26 am

Is there any guide to roughly how much notice a gallery should give an artist for new work for an up coming exhibition?

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: Gallery timing

Post by Alitogata » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:19 pm

There is not such a thing. It depends on the agreement that you will have with the gallery owner. You contact them and negotiate the matter.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Post by Andre Jute » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:16 am

Unless you have an established history with a gallery, or some kind of another track record in the arts (and about which not a single person says you were ever late with any project), you don't make work for a show with a pre-determined date. First you have the work, then the gallery decides the date after they make a selection to show.

If it is work for a competition or multi-artist show, the call for entries is usually at least four weeks and more often many months before the event, long enough for oils to dry.

Or you might be invited to show elsewhere when a curator or other promoter sees your work somewhere, perhaps in a local showing, but they usually want the work they've seen, and will often talk to you first to discover what else you have ready to go.

Matthew was recently invited to give a one man show not only of his paintings but of the tools he invented and made to aid his work. You could ask him how that invitation originated.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Post by mdmattin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 am

Hi Snippety,

In my experience, the lead time for shows varies from a few months to a year or more. It really depends on the gallery's schedule - a higher end gallery might plan its shows several years out. The invitation for my recent solo show came about after I participated in a group show at the same location in the fall of 2018; we started planning in earnest in June. Most of the work was already done, but I did show a few pieces completed during 2019.

Are you currently talking with a gallery about a possible show? How much lead time are they talking about?

Matthew