DIY studio ventilation system

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

mdmattin
one of the regulars
DIY studio ventilation system

Post by mdmattin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:16 pm

I work in a poorly ventilated basement space, and have been noticing the effects of breathing paint thinner and other fumes lately. I installed a bathroom fan in a wooden housing, to be placed right at the source next to my thinner can and palette table. A length of flexible duct vents the fumes out the window. The brush caddy attachment on top includes clips to hang oil soaked rags up to dry next to the intake.This, combined with switching to Gamsol from generic mineral spirits and being more diligent about keeping containers closed when not in use, has created a more healthy and pleasant environment where I can work for longer without feeling queasy.
I was surprised that there wasn't something like this ready made. I found expensive units for heavy duty industry, but not a simple exhaust system like this for moderately toxic personal pursuits.

ventiator.jpg
ventiator.jpg (154.99KiB)Viewed 1236 times
Matthew

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: DIY studio ventilation system

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:36 pm

I toured the workshops of lathe-owners on YouTube and all but those clearly making a demonstration in manufacturer or large toolstore space had DIY extractors, most crude by comparison to yours. The most common arrangement was a fan mounted on the window with a duct of some kind (I saw a few with a very tidy expandable duct like the one that came with our wishing machine for the steam vent) led to the cutting face and just left open there, and moved along a rail or swung on an arm when the cutting face moves somewhere else.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: DIY studio ventilation system

Post by Alitogata » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 am

Wow... I would suggest to patent it! :lol: