alternative to traditional presentation ?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

snippety
one of the regulars
alternative to traditional presentation ?

Post by snippety » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm

hi all heres another challenge - not so much framing question but as a presentation Q.

The pluses for framing: it really finishes off a piece of work ; for a water colour or work on paper it keeps it flat and nice and clean and stops bugs and other damages and ..helps sales? . the minus is the cost.

what other ways can i present my work in a gallery exhibition- that keeps it flat and neat. ( i do not want to use varnishes / glues or excessive adhesives as i consider these destructive) if some one purchases the piece they can frame it.

mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: alternative to traditional presentation ?

Post by mdmattin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:53 am

Hi Snippety,
The most minimal presentation would probably be to shrink wrap it in plastic on a foam bard backing. A frame shop might do this for you, or you can order supplies on line and do it your yourself. You can get bags of various sizes and an inexpensive heat gun.

A nicer and still fairly inexpensive way is to have the work mounted, matted, and put behind glass, but use gallery clips instead of a frame. There are many different versions available - the one's I like best have little hooks that grab the corners, and are tied together in back.

My approach has been to buy inexpensive ready-made frames and cut my own mats to fit my artwork. You can get surprisingly elegant frames for a low price. The drawback is that they may not come in a size that's just right for your artwork.

A nicely framed piece is more likely to sell. You could invest in a few quality frames in a few standard sizes, and rotate your paintings through the frames when they are on display in galleries.

You could hang a few pieces in nice frames, and have others in shrink-wrap in a portfolio or bin for people to browse through.

My links are not intended to be endorsements of any particular vendor - they're just to give you an idea of what I mean. You may be able to get what you need locally, or find better deals online.

Matthew