Challenges faced when learning to draw?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Moderator:mdmattin

copy_sketches
Challenges faced when learning to draw?

Post by copy_sketches » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi folks,

I’d love to get your thoughts on something I’ve been wrestling with over the past few months.

I recently started learning to draw. I’m actually taking a course right now on cartooning, and the lessons/exercises really challenged some of my initial beliefs about drawing.

Before starting a few months ago, the last time I sketched anything was back in school. And as a result, I naturally assumed I couldn’t draw, believing it was either something you have or you don’t.

So... My initial challenge was getting over that mindset that drawing can’t be learned as an adult.

Then the next challenge was the practice of putting pencil to paper (or Apple pencil to iPad screen). I had to get over the initial skill-based hurdles and simply allow myself to sketch and not worry about how good it looked.

A few questions:

1.) Am I alone in this, or are there others who had similar challenges?

2.) If so, how did you overcome them?

3.) And if you were to start all over again, what would you do differently?

Thanks!
Colm

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: Challenges faced when learning to draw?

Post by Andre Jute » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:00 pm

Confidence is a good thing, Colm. But you're there already. You could also reduce your tools to one 2B pencil and one sketchbook so that there are no distractions. Another bit of advice that I've had much success with in advising new writers and artistically blocked established writers, is "Put your hands on the keyboard when it is time to write, and type 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' over and over until the inspiration flows and you continue writing your story." A sketcher's version would be, "Put your pencil on the paper and doodle, until the inspiration flows. Don't lift the pencil, don't look down at the page, just follow your eye with the pencil." Not new advice but it makes really good sense.
Andre Jute
FacebookNetsitePublisher

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: Challenges faced when learning to draw?

Post by Alitogata » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 am

If you were able to learn how to write you are definitely able to learn how to draw because writing is a form of drawing. As you were taught at elementary school how to draw the letters you can be taught as an adult to draw buildings, people, animals etc.

Think this. That Chinese people don't actually write. They actually draw these complicated shapes that is their "alphabet" ( or whatever they call that).
If you were interested to learn Chinese you would have learn to write Chinese language too without doubting your ability to do it.

So why do you doubt you ability to draw by the time that you have already done it...